The Henley Lions Club annual Swimarathon, held on 24 March 2018, proved hugely successful raising nearly £6,000 for local charities. One hundred thirty swimmers in twenty three teams from nine separate organisations took part. Teams ranged in size from 4 to 7 swimmers with adults as well as youngsters taking part. Five local schools plus the 1st Henley Brownies, Henley Sea Cadets and Royal Marine Cadets and members of MENCAP swam for 40 minutes completing as many lengths of the 25 meter pool as possible. A team from Gillotts calling themselves the Dicey Dolphins achieved 103 lengths in the time allotted. The funds raised are split 50/50 between the teams’ charities and the Lions charities though the 1st Henley Brownies are donating all of their sponsorship to Lions charities. Each of the organisations taking part were presented with a special trophy in recognition of the centenary of Lions Clubs International.
The Henley Lions are introducing the Golden Mile Challenge to this year’s annual Swimarathon event. Separate from the Swimarathon the Golden Mile is a challenge to swim one mile in 40 minutes or less. An information sheet explaining the details and entry form for those who think that they’re up to the challenge are attached.
Henley Lions Swimarathon 2018 will take place on Saturday, 24 March 2018 at the Henley Leisure Centre. Included in this post are two documents, an invitation to compete in the Swimarathon and guidance notes. Please refer to these two documents for all the relevant information regarding this event.
As 2017 drew to a close we looked back over all that we had done during the past year and all the causes that we had supported. The vast majority of the funds we raised were dispersed locally but, as always, we did support some of Lions Clubs International work in other parts of the world. Among the causes we helped in 2017 were:
- Henley Youth Festival
- Haiti Hurricane Disaster Relief
- River Trip on the Rivertime for the Henley Bluebell Group
- Specially adapted trike for a local disabled boy
- Regatta for the Disabled
- Starlight Children’s Foundation
- Music and cookery awards for Gillotts pupils
- Junior Princes Award Program for Sacred Heart School
- Kickstarters Music Scheme
- Grenville Tower Disaster
- Overseas treatment for a young boy with a rare form of cancer
- Secondary control for a local child’s electric wheelchair
- Moments to Remember for the Chilterns Centre for Disabled Children and Young Adults
- Support for a young lady from Henley to travel to India to do voluntary work.
- Mencap Club BBQ
- Annual Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal
- Henley Music School
- Meteor Club Christmas Party
- Christmas Parcels to needy individuals and families
- Lions Sight Savers Trust.