Once again this year Henley Lions organised, purchased, packed and delivered 90 Christmas Parcels to needy individuals and families within our local area. Funds for this project are generously donated by local individuals and organisations. The club has been involved in the Christmas parcel project for many years but this was the 14th year that the entire project was undertaken by Henley Lions Club.
During 2016 the Henley Lions made a number of donations, some large and some small, to worthy causes both locally and internationally. These included donations to:
- Royal Berkshire Pain Clinic
- Footsteps Centre in Dorchester, Oxon
- Duke of Edinburgh Bronze Award for a local girl
- Kickstarters music scheme for local children
- Sacred Heart Primary School – SkillForce Junior Princes Award Program
- Starlight Children’s Foundation
- Blubell trip on the Rivertime
- Henley Youth Festival
- Haiti Hurricane Disaster Relief Appeal
- Christmas meal for 50 isolated people in Sonning Common
- MENCAP Christmas party
- Special trike for local disabled boy
Award winners Elizabeth Landon and Kit Alcock with Lions Wendy, Ian and John.
On 15th July members of Henley Lions Club visited Gillotts school to make two awards for outstanding achievement. Lion President Wendy Franklin presented the Vivian Morris Award for music to Kit Alcock for his commitment, dedication and positive contributions during music lessons. Kit plans to study ‘A’ level Music Technology next year. The Margaret Claridge Memorial Award was won jointly by Elizabeth Landon and Adam Wermann. Elizabeth has worked extremely hard, always cooking with care, accuracy and flair and Adam has shown dedication and hard work and overcome challenges in order to achieve success.